Below is the text of a letter sent to Chris Cobb, notifying the University that we are going into dispute, in response to recent proposed pay freezes and job cuts.
We are writing to you to issue formal notice of a dispute, in accordance with provisions outlined in the Recognition Agreement between UNISON and the University of London, on the following grounds:
- Unilateral variation of employment contracts without individual or collective agreement in relation to the imposition of an increment freeze
- Failure of the University of London to meaningfully negotiate or consult with UNISON in relation to the above
- Failure of the University of London to meaningfully negotiate or consult with UNISON in relation to proposed job losses at the University of London
UNISON Senate House Branch has attempted to engage with the University in relation to above items, and concerns were raised at the JNCC on 9th July 2020. Requests for further information and additional discussions regarding the above issues have been refused.
In accordance with Section 7 of the Recognition Agreement, Disputes Resolution, UNISON Senate House Branch is requesting an extraordinary JNCC by Wednesday 26th August 2020.
The primary purpose of this meeting is to discuss the grounds for raising this dispute and related topics including:
- No formal written response that has adequately addressed the questions that the unions raised as part of the consultation process for freezing pay increments
- The lack of regard to the Recognition Agreement in terms of fully consulting and negotiating on changes to terms and conditions
- Inconsistent approach to using the Change Management Agreement with relation to restructuring and reorganisations
- A lack of acknowledgement of previous agreements made in good faith by the Director of HR in relation to terms for voluntary redundancies
- A refusal to engage with Unison Senate House Branch on alternatives to redundancies
UNISON remains committed to resolving these issues through meaningful negotiations but will if necessary, in consultation with our members, resort to all means available to trade unions.
Angela Ireland, Branch Secretary, Senate House Branch
Boyana Petrovich, UNISON Regional Organiser